Japanese Social Services (JSS) values the contribution of volunteers because they enable our agency to deliver quality services in spite of limited staff and funding. Volunteers also help JSS strengthen ties with the community, thereby increasing our visibility and enabling us to reach out to a greater number of people. In turn, JSS hopes volunteers will benefit from the time and energy they give to JSS.
We are looking for volunteers who can:
- understand English and/or Japanese
- give their time on a short-term or long-term basis
- can come to the JSS or work from home
- have knowledge or interest in social services or the Japanese Canadian community
- Data input
- Reception, Handling telephone inquiries in both English and Japanese
Child Care (weekend)
- Child-minding (as a team)
- Child-minding Lead
- Craft making
- Organizing / Participating the craft sales at the event
Once a month, JSS volunteers cook and serve a tasty lunch for approximately 60 Japanese Canadian seniors. The proceeds go towards JSS operating expenses. Volunteers are responsible for planning, organizing, preparing the day before, as well as for cooking and serving the meal.
- Coordinating support
- Prepping, cooking, and serving
Living and Safety Information
- Translation (e.g. Legal Information, Health Canada Alert, Police Report, Newspaper articles), Proofreading
- Editing, Designing and Publishing
- Compiling Newsletters/Pamphlets
Translation (Pamphlets, Newsletters)
- Article Writing
- Translation, Proofreading
- Editing, Designing
Workshop / Seminar Support
JSS has organized many workshops, often together with Momiji Health Care Society and the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre (JCCC). The topics include:
- Tenant rights
- Power of Attorney and Will
- Brain Health
- Healthy Relationship
- Raising Sexually Healthy Children
- Advance Care Planning
Bazaars are a chance for JSS to display information about our services. We also raise money by selling handmade dolls, beaded necklaces and other jewelry. Volunteers are needed to wait on customers, sell handicrafts and explain about JSS.
In this program, our volunteers provide those who might become isolated for some reasons with regular friendly visiting. (*mandatory training before assignment)
In order to convey our heartfelt thanks to all the people who generously donate their time and energy to our organization, contributed volunteers are invited to JSS’s yearly Volunteer Appreciation Party. The volunteers who provided significant contributions receive the volunteer award. Thank you!
If you are interested in volunteering with JSS, please read the description above and fill out the inquiry form below. Our volunteer coordinator will contact you to set up your volunteer orientation session for you to officially register as a JSS volunteer.