COVID-19: Updates on Law and Legal Services(CLEO)

(1)  Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO)

Go to the section of Step to Justice project, to see the full Q&As for the legal information updates by CLEO, one of the legal community clinics in Ontario, regarding to COVID-19.

1.  Employment and Work

  • My boss says that I might have to come back in for just a few hours. How will this affect what I’m getting from the CERB?
  • How will getting CERB affect how much income tax I have to pay?
  • Can I apply for EI if I’m in quarantine?
  • Do I have to get a doctor’s certificate if I am ill because of COVID-19?
  • I don’t have paid sick days from my employer. What should I do?
  • I am self-employed. Can I apply for EI if I’m sick or quarantined?
  • With schools/daycares closed, I can’t come to work because I have to be home to take care of my kid’s. What are my rights?

Read more Q&A: Employment and Work at CLEO

2.  Family Law

  • Do I have to send my child to my partner for access visits if my child and I are self-isolating or under quarantine?
  • I’m worried about COVID-19 and don’t want to send my child for an access visit to my partner. What can I do?
  • CAS has stopped all in-person access visits because of COVID-19 and I can’t see my child. What can I do?
  • The place where I work is closed because of  COVID-19 and I have no work. I don’t have money to pay support. What can I do?

Read more Q&A: Family Law at CLEO

3.  Abuse and Family Violence

  • What can I do if I’m self isolating with a partner who is abusive?
  • I’m being abused or have experienced abuse. Where can I find legal support during COVID-19?
  • My abusive partner won’t return the children to me and courts are closed because of COVID-19. What can I do?
  • The supervised access centre I use has closed because of COVID-19. What can I do about my children’s access visits with their other parent?

Read more Q&A: Abuse and Family Violence at CLEO

4.  Housing Law

  • I was not able to pay my rent this month and my landlord is threatening to evict me. What can I do?
  • Can I cancel my lease if I can’t keep the place because of the COVID-19 emergency?
  • Can my landlord refuse to come in to do repairs because of COVID-19?

Read more Q&A: Housing Law at CLEO

5.  Immigration and Refugee

  • Where can I get information about immigration and refugee cases?
  • I have an appointment with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). What should I do?
  • I can’t meet the deadline to file my documents with IRCC. What should I do?
  • Can I submit an application for temporary residence, permanent residence or citizenship to IRCC, Visa Application Centres, or Visa Offices?
  • My permanent resident application was finalized and I want to enter Canada. What should I do?
  • I don’t have status in Canada. What should I do if I think I have COVID-19?
  • If I get healthcare or if I am tested for the COVID-19, will IRCC or Canada Boarder Services Agency (CBSA) be told where I am?

Read more Q&A: Immigration and Refugee at CLEO
6.  Tribunals and Courts

  • I have a court date for a criminal charge in the Ontario Court of Justice. What should I do?
  • I have a hearing coming up at the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario / Social Benefit Tribunal / Landlord and Tenant Board. Should I go?
  • There is a time limit in my legal case that I can’t meet because of COVID-19. What can I do?
  • I have a case at Small Claims Court. What should I do?

Read more Q&A: Tribunals and Courts at CLEO

(2)  Others

1.  Rent Payment

Unfortunately there hasn’t been any formal support for rent payment from the government, despite the homeowners can apply for mortgage deferral (See our other post for the government’s financial support).
Tenancy laws are province specific. Currently the courts and tribunals in Ontario are closed due to COVID-19. The Emergency order issued says, during this time, the already-issued evictions are posed, and there is no issuing of eviction (eviction has to be enforced by sheriff, not the landlord). Many other provinces have similar eviction moratoriums.
Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) prohibits landlords to charge interest or late fees when rent is not paid on time, though eviction notice can be issued after going through the process with Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB), one of tribunals in Ontario which is currently closed.
**RTA does not cover individuals who shares kitchen and/or bathroom with their landlord or landlord’s family member. Also many of its rules do not apply to non-profit and housing and college/university residence.
If you face any issue with your landlord in Ontario, you can contact hotline offered by Federation of Metro Tenants’ Association (FMTA):
Tenant Hotline 416-932-9494 /


**Go back to the COVID-19:



Next article

We are Open Remotely